In honor of the four-month mark of our new administration, here’s a look at the president’s slightly smarter cousin, the chimpanzee:
- Washoe, the chimpanzee, was the first non-human to learn American Sign Language. She also passed on her knowledge to other chimpanzees.
- In 2008, a chimpanzee named Anjana adopted and raised two baby white tigers named Mitra and Shiva after a hurricane.
- Elephants and chimpanzees can display behavior patterns similar to post-traumatic stress disorder and depression.
- Humans have the same number of hair follicles as chimpanzees.
- Chimpanzees can identify each other from pictures of their butts.
- The United States and Gabon are the only two countries that allow experimentation on chimpanzees.
- Congo the chimp was a famous abstract painter in the 1950s who sold paintings to Picasso, Dalí and others for up to $26,000.
Please like & share: